The purpose of this fully online option (Acellus) is to provide families an alternative choice for educational programming. The Acellus programming will be different from the virtual learning that students in the hybrid model (four days face to face/one day virtual) will experience. Students learning through Acellus will receive a curriculum that is similarly aligned with state standards, but instructed in a different manner and in a different sequence than students in the face to face hybrid model recently approved by our Board of Education. Acellus courses are generally self paced. An Oconto Falls staff member will be checking in and will be available to support your child with their questions.
If you are opting for your child(ren) for full Virtual School Option, please understand the following:
- You are committing to full online learning for the entire grading period and are not able to attend school face to face or hybrid/blended model or move between learning models until the start of the next grading period. (4K-5 – Trimester, 6-8 2 Quint, 9-12 Semester)
- If the outbreak requires students in the face to face or hybrid model to move into virtual learning, online learning students will continue on their same online learning course. There is no transition back to non-online learning until that grading period is complete.
- The District will ensure four core subjects (Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies) are taught in full online learning. Elective classes are available, however, some specials or encore courses may not be available.
- To select this option, you would need to have adequate internet connectivity. Astrea recommends Internet speeds of 10 mbps as a minimum for streaming online video. A device to utilize the coursework would be provided by the district.
Success as a virtual student requires that you acknowledge the need for daily engagement within courses by maintaining structured pacing where assignments and assessments are completed each day. Regular communication with online learning option teachers through email and/or phone calls is expected. School Attendance rules will be followed and enforced.
Home Learning Coach
It is important you identify someone to be the Home Learning Coach. The Home Learning Coach will be the primary person for helping the student through the process of online learning. This person can be a parent, capable older sibling, grandparent, babysitter etc. The Home Learning Coach’s role is to communicate with the student on a regular basis about school. This role is especially important for the younger student(s).
Online School Learning Tips
- Create a learning space for your child.
- Make a consistent school schedule but be flexible.
- Reduce distractions.
- Schedule other activities such as exercise.
- See which accessibility features help your child.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers regularly.