The Oconto Falls School District is dedicated to “Academic Excellence.” Excellence means we develop students to become high-achieving, lifelong learners and positive contributors to their communities. We believe academic excellence is the product of staff, students, and families working collaboratively to ensure that each student capitalizes on their strengths and experiences success.
The Teaching and Learning Department’s primary responsibilities are:
- Guiding and supporting curriculum resources and instruction
- Coordinating and supervising state and local assessments
- Compiling and analyzing district student enrollment and achievement data
- Working with our building administrators to plan and implement purposeful professional development of staff
We are committed to:
- Ensuring that our students have access to a rigorous curriculum that defines what every student will know, understand, and be able to do.
- Engaging our students in learning that is rigorous and relevant.
- Developing critical and creative thinkers, strong collaborators, effective communicators and resilient problem-solvers.
- Modifying instruction to accommodate varied individual learning needs of our students, both to provide additional support and extend learning opportunities.
- Promoting student development in a multitude of areas including academic, social, emotional, physical, and ethical.
- Conveying to each student, “You are important, you can succeed, and we will not give up on you.”
- Assisting our students in the development of a strong work ethic.
- Measuring student proficiency through appropriate formal and informal assessments.
- Providing our staff with professional development opportunities to ensure consistent implementation of best practices.
- Supporting teachers to meet regularly and engage in ongoing curriculum, instruction, and assessment work.
- Creating and sustaining school/community partnerships that focus on common goals and increase learning opportunities/resources for students.
We use the following essential questions to guide our work:
- What do our students need to learn in each course/curricular area? (i.e-What specific knowledge and skills do students need to master in each course/curricular area in order to be successful/proficient?)
- How do we best assess our students’ learning (knowledge and skill) for each course or curricular area?
- How will we respond when our students have shown they need additional support in the learning process?
- How do we help our students who have demonstrated they are capable of extending their level of learning further?
Ms. Heather Kangas, Director of Teaching and Learning
Oconto Falls Public Schools
210 N Farm Road
Oconto Falls, WI 54154
Phone: 920-848-3747 x4091